carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Under Rose-Tainted Skies

Under Rose-Tainted Skies - Louise D. Gornall This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I thought that this book was very well done. It wasn't a feel good novel and it could be almost hard to read at times. It really felt like an honest book and that is what I really liked about it. It can be really hard to imagine the reality of living with mental illness as Norah does in this story but this book does a nice job of giving the reader something to think about. This was definitely a book worth reading.

Norah is a teenage girl that spends a lot of her life in fear. She has OCD and agoraphobia and her life is very different than most other teenagers. She stays in her house and the only person that she really spends any time with is her mother. When Luke, the new next door neighbor, helps her get the groceries in her house, she really isn't quite sure what to do with him. Luke starts spending time with Norah at her house and they develop a very close relationship but Norah fears that she is keeping him from doing things.

This book is told from Norah's point of view. We get to see inside of Norah's head and know exactly what she is thinking and it could be hard at times. Simple things could end up being really hard for her which is incredibly frustrating to her. She wants many of the things that other teens want but she doesn't know how to overcome her crippling anxiety and fear in order to allow it to become a possibility. I thought that Norah's inner dialogue were some of the most powerful moments in the book.

I would recommend this books to others. It was an honest look at mental illness that really was eye opening at times. This book could be hard to read at times simply because of how realistic it felt. I thought that this was a strong debut novel for Louis Gornall and look forward to reading her future works.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group via NetGalley.