carolesrandomlife

carolesrandomlife

Burning Bright

Burning Bright - Nicholas Petrie This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This book really grabbed my attention from the start with almost non-stop excitement. It almost felt like I had been thrown into an action movie and I loved every minute of it. Before I even knew it, I had read a large part of the book. The pace of the story did eventually slow down but the excitement never stopped because I couldn't stop trying to figure out how things would work out. This was such a great read.

Peter Ash is veteran dealing with PTSD which causes him to feel claustrophobic anytime he is indoors. He deals with it as best he can which usually means that he tries to stay out of buildings as much as possible. I find Peter to be a very interesting and unique character. He thinks quick and knows his limitations. June is a reporter that finds herself hiding from a group of men that attempted to kidnap her. June meets Peter and they start to work together to figure out why she has been targeted. June's character really complimented Peter's nicely. Their personalities meshed perfectly and they seemed to be able to work smoothly together almost from the moment that they met.

This book has no shortage of action. Peter and June find themselves in the middle of several intense situations and I never know exactly how things would turn around. I was never quite sure exactly who the bad guy was so I didn't really trust any of the characters besides Peter and June and of course, Lewis, who I was very happy to see make an appearance in this book. The story took quite a few twists and turns with many unexpected moments.

I would recommend this book to others. This is the second book in the Peter Ash series and while it could be read as a stand alone, readers will probably appreciated the background knowledge from the first book. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this exciting series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group - Putnam G.P. Putnam's Sons via NetGalley and First to Read.

Initial Thoughts
This book sucked me in immediately. It started out like an action movie with one exciting event following the next. The mystery kept me guessing until the very end.